The Native American Legacy Award (NALA) is an award for qualified students who are citizens of state or federally recognized tribes or descendants of tribally enrolled citizens. In short, you can receive in-state tuition if you are from out of state.
This award means your non-resident tuition will be reduced to Colorado resident base tuition. This does not include university fees or differential tuition. The award is based on current tuition rates, which are subject to change each year. The actual NALA tuition rate will be reflected in your estimated cost of attendance, financial aid awards (if applicable), and billing statements.
The Native American Legacy Award cannot be combined with the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) award, Yellow Ribbon Award, GI Promise, HB 15-1294 GI Benefits, or other non-resident institutional scholarships. If you receive more than one of these awards, the one that benefits you the most will remain and the others will be canceled.
Students eligible to receive NALA must be:
- Registered citizens of a state or federally recognized tribe OR be able to prove a parent is a registered member of a state or federally recognized tribe*
- Non-residents of Colorado
- Seeking a degree on CSU’s main campus (CSU Online students are not eligible)
- Able to attend the Community for Excellence (C4E) Fall Academic Summit. (Details will be sent after you are granted an award).
* Students who are not enrolled in a tribe, and who do not have a parent enrolled in a tribe, may qualify if they demonstrate a blood quantum of one-half Native American ancestry. This quantum must not necessarily be of one tribe, but of all tribes combined, from recognized tribes under this policy. Typically this is shown with evidence of parents’ certificates of Indian blood.
How do I apply?
1. Apply to Colorado State University
- Submit a completed application for admission
- Submit proof of tribal citizenship or membership no later than 15 business days before the start of the academic term
2. Send official tribal citizenship documents to:
Native American Legacy Award
Office of Admissions
Colorado State University
1062 Campus Delivery
Fort Collins, CO 80523-1062
Fax (970) 491-7799
Examples include a copy of your certificate of enrollment or the front and back of your tribal membership card.